Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cafe Java

Is there anything better than having eggs at 8:00PM, as dinner? I submit that there is not. I love breakfast foods, pancakes, eggs, bacon (or as I call it, the King of Foods). This week we tried to Cafe Java, on Metric and Stonehollow, right across from the Austin Community College Northridge campus. When I say 'we tried' I mean I finally dragged Matt over there, as I have been a fan since the start of the semester. My first experience with these wonderful folks was one morning, fresh off the bus on my way to school.

Country Omelet
Pancake
Last night Matt ordered a country omelet and a single pancake. The omelet was stuffed with sausage, cheddar and potatoes. This is a very good omelet and, as with all their plates, the portions are very generous. On the side are perfectly cooked hash browns, as a huge fan of the potato all I can say is I approve. The potatoes are clearly not frozen out of a bag, as they don't taste like cardboard like some cafes. I-Hop, I'm looking at you. They also have two specials every day for breakfast and dinner. One I had a few weeks ago that is worth mentioning is what they called the "Blue Plate" special- two blueberry pancakes with homemade blueberry compote, two pieces of bacon, hash browns and two eggs (the eggs, bacon etc was on another plate thankfully). The pancakes, as always, were perfectly light and tender with just enough blueberry and the compote? Oh dear me, the compote. This was perfect, not overly sweet so you could still taste the wonderful, slight tartness of the blueberries. This plate was an absolute winner, I would order it every time if it was more than just a special. Another special they often have is S.O.S., sausage gravy over Texas toast, two eggs and potatoes. As a good southern boy, there is nothing I like more than sausage gravy served over some form of bread product, toast, biscuits, ladled into my hand ( OK that isn't bread but I just love gravy). The gravy did not disappoint, I left perfectly full, with just enough energy to sleep through my composition class.

Flounder with Cream Poblano Sauce
Last night I decided to take a break from my normal and order a dinner item. I know what you're thinking, "All this talk of how wonderful breakfast is for dinner and you betray us by having dinner for dinner? For shame David, for shame.", well just hush now and listen so I can explain. One of the dinner specials last night was tortilla crusted flounder with a cream poblano sauce(three of my favorite words), served with Spanish rice and a vegetable medley. The fish was fried just right and the tortilla crust was a nice texture compliment to the tender fish. The sauce was well flavored, not too peppery and made a nice flavor contrast to the flounder. The Spanish rice was well seasoned, not overly spicy, and cooked well. The most surprising thing for me was the veggie medley. I generally am not a fan of this as a side, because most restaurants serve frozen vegetables, basically garbage. The vegetables in my medley, squash, zucchini and green beans, were all fresh and steamed to perfection. They all still had body and just a little crunch to them. This was a very good plate.

Price wise at Cafe Java you are looking at about $6-$10 per plate, so not too bad. This has become one of my favorite local cafes and I'm glad I found it.





 Official AFJ Rating- Two Points


Website
Google Maps Location
Hours-
Mon-Fri: 7:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M.
Sat: 7:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Sun: 8:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment