Friday, March 4, 2011

Breakfast Smoothie

Mixed Berry Smoothie
I don't know about everyone else but I almost never have the time in the morning to prepare a proper breakfast, and I generally try to avoid going to the drive-through. Personally I love breakfast, but during the week it has to be something quick that I can have on the way to work, that is both satisfying and that will not cause damage to my arteries. With that in mind I thought I'd share a recipe for a quick breakfast smoothie. Here's what I usually use for my smoothies-

Ingredients:
2 bananas
1 cup frozen mixed berries
3 tablespoons fat free Greek yogurt
6oz fruit juice
Tabletop or immersion style blender

Instructions:
1. Peel and slice the bananas and place in your blender along with the yogurt and fruit juice
2. Thaw the berries in your microwave, (or let them sit over night in the refrigerator to thaw) and place them in
     your blender.
3. Blend until you get a nice smooth texture and pour into your glass.

The great thing about this smoothie is that it can be made very quickly in the morning, or made the night before and stored in the refrigerator. For the smoothie pictured I used a 100% pomegranate-blueberry blend for the juice. While I do prefer the pomegranate-blueberry, it can be a bit expensive so I also use red grape juice in my smoothies. If you wanted to make this a vegan breakfast all you would have to do is substitute the yogurt for soy or almond milk. I prefer the vanilla flavored or plain.  In addition to berries, sometimes I also use a mix of berries and frozen mango or peach. Either way you'll be treated to a quick, portable, and satisfying breakfast that won't cause a heart attack or shrink your bank account!

No comments:

Post a Comment